Category Archives: Community

“A Christmas Carol” running through December 28, 2014

Leave a comment

LeGacy Productions presents the return of their most popular Christmas show yet, “Tiny Tim’s Christmas” at the Nevada Theatre November 28th through December 28th. Judy Blake once again directs.

The delightful story reminiscent of Dicken’s classic “A Christmas Carol” brings audiences to New York City, where “Tiny” Tim Cratchit, all grown up, fulfills his childhood dream of owning a toy shop. However, Tim has become jaded and miserable in his life, much like his “Uncle” Ebeneezer Scrooge was before his visit from the three spirits on Christmas Eve. When Tim finds out about the passing of his “Uncle” Ebeneezer, he is visited by Scrooge’s spirit, and confronts his mistakes and wrong doings.

LeGacy cofounder and producer Alvis LeGate takes on the title role of Tim Cratchit, joined by Sacramento’s own Steven Minow as Scrooge. LeGacy veteran Nadia White joins in as Grace, Tim’s shop manager. The rest of the twenty person cast is a mix of LeGacy veterans and newcomers, who sing and dance their way through the shops and streets of London and New York City. Shawnna Frazer choreographs. LeGacy favorite designers Darryl Stines on the set, Sharon Sciabaca on costumes.

Tickets to “Tiny Tim’s Christmas” are $20 in advance, $20 at the door, available at Harmony Books, The Bookseller, online at legacypresents.com or by calling (530) 268 5419.

The Center for the Arts purchases iconic California Worldfest (video)

Leave a comment

The Center for the Arts has purchased the iconic California WorldFest from its founders, Sierra FoodWineArt has learned. It has been held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds since its founding in July some 18 years ago.

It is a coup for The Center, which has succeeded in bring world-class talent to the foothills, from Joan Baez to Willie Nelson.

For its part, the County Fairgrounds is hosting more major festivals, including the Strawberry Music Festival.

The WorldFest, started by Dan and Christine, is now going to be in its 19th year. “We’ve decided we’ve come to the end and want to infuse new energy and take a step back,” Dan told Sierra FoodWineArt.

Next year’s WorldFest will be held July 16-19

The California WorldFest began as a showcase for some of our world’s finest artists performing music and dance from the United States and around the world.

Drawing inspiration from the Vancouver Folk Festival, Strawberry Music Festival, MerleFest in North Carolina, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, Telluride Bluegrass Festival, and the Newport Folk Festival, the California WorldFest includes eight performance stages, a complete children’s program, a community outreach history and a pledge to present the finest artists and performers from throughout our world.

From Afro/Pop to Bulgarian Harmonies, Latin to Bluegrass, Scottish fiddle tunes to Rock & Roll, Jumpin’ Jazz to Gypsy, Folk to New Acoustic, Mariachi to Russian Folk, Swing Jazz to Gospel, Bollywood to the newest Celtic incarnations, the California WorldFest is the home of our globes finest music and dance.

Watch a video of Tommy Emmanuel and Brittni Paiva at the 2012 California Worldfest below:

(Source: Sierra FoodWineArt.com)

A walking Christmas tree in Nevada City that rivals Stanford’s

Leave a comment

The Stanford Tree is the Stanford Band’s mascot and the unofficial mascot of Stanford University. The Tree’s costume, newly created each year, is a prominent target for pranksters from rival schools, in particular Cal Berkeley.

Nestled in the Sierra foothills, Nevada City has its own tradition of a walking tree. In this case, the Walking Christmas Tree is a longtime tradition at Victorian Christmas. This annual, family tradition takes place December 10, 14, 17 and 21, 2014, and features carriage rides, live entertainment, yuletide treats, libations and Father Christmas.

The walking tree wanders up and down Broad Street greeting guests. “People joke that this is a happier tree than the Stanford tree,” says Cindy Moon, a Nevada City Chamber Commerce volunteer who is the current “Christmas Tree Lady.”

The handmade tree is a work of art, made of green satin, fleece, a hoop skirt and adorned with lights, ornaments and bells. The tree took about 40 hours to create. Nevada City’s “Christmas Tree Lady” hands out candy canes to visitors. “The adults mob me more than the children,” Cindy jokes.

(Source: SierraCulture.com, Photo: Jeanne Duerst)

Nevada City Winter Craft Fair (video)

Leave a comment

The Nevada City Winter Craft Fair returns Sunday, December 14, 2014 to the historic Miners Foundry Cultural Center in downtown Nevada City, CA. The independent, juried craft fair began in the summer of 2010 by a group of local young crafters, artists and social do-gooders who were inspired by the independent entrepreneurship and creative talents in their community as well as the success of the Renegade Craft Fairs across the US and Europe.

The inaugural event attracted over 800 attendees and showcases the local regions top Etsy vendors, artisans, do-it-yourself crafters, and features their unique, handmade, original and repurposed art, clothing, accessories, jewelry, and housewares. Attendees can also expect to find letterpress, paper and stationary items as well as children’s things, toys (for the young and young at heart), ceramics, bath products, and more.

All-ages are welcomed and encouraged. Entrance fee is $3.00, children under 12 are free. The Fair is open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available online, by phone, or in person at Briar Patch or the Miners Foundry Box Office. To learn more about this and other local craft fairs, click here.

2014 Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra Holiday Concerts

Leave a comment

Capture the holiday spirit with the Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra on Saturday evening December 20 and Sunday afternoon December 21 at the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Grass Valley.

“What sweeter music can be heard during the holidays than your favorite carols and joyful seasonal songs? My assistant Toon and I have created a program that is intended to leave the audience with the joy of the season coursing through them,” says SMC conductor and InConcert Sierra Artistic Director Ken Hardin.

One of the highlights of the concert will be the premiere of a work featuring a new twist on traditional carols arranged by assistant conductor and composer Toon Vandevorst, titled “Dances for the Season.” The work includes carols such as “Deck the Hall,” “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear,” Lord of the Dance,” “Silent Night,” and “Angels We Have Heard on High” in the style of various dances like a bolero, waltz, habanera, and even a foxtrot.  “The dances are such clever and masterful arrangements… I think I might just want to dance right off the risers!” says alto chorister Dr. Mimi Vishoot.

The program also highlights a work by local composer Jerry Grant titled “Rejoice: Fantasia on a Hymn of John Reynolds” that adds even more enchantment.  “It’s magical and fun, sort of like we should be part of the Disneyland Electrical Parade,” says soprano Connie Dorland.  “So far we have only heard it with the piano accompaniment, but when the orchestra joins us, I’m going to have chills going down my spine.”  The orchestra will also play Vaughan Williams “Fantasia on Greensleeves,” and Victor Herbert’s “March of the Toys,” to enhance the show.

Other seasonal favorites on the program include John Rutter’s “What Sweeter Music,” Felix Mendelssohn’s “There Shall a Star Come Out of Jacob,” J.S. Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring,” and a traditional carol arranged by John Leavitt, “Sing We Now of Christmas.”

The holiday tradition wouldn’t be complete without audience participation sing-alongs, such as Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas” and John Wade’s “O Come all ye Faithful.” Singing with an orchestra is a joy for the choir, and it’s even more fun when the audience joins in.  “I have always relished the thought of conducting a 500-voice choir.  When I turn to conduct the audience for sing-alongs, I’m sure I radiate the joy I feel with everyone in the audience following me in song… another dream come true,” smiles Hardin.

The Sierra Master Chorale is a 70-voice auditioned choir conducted by Ken Hardin with assistant conductor Toon Vandevorst.  The orchestra includes 26 local and regional players with concertmaster Richard Altenbach.  The concerts are dedicated to the memory of SMC choristers Roberta Frank and Bill Derrick.

For more information and tickets, visit InConcert Sierra.

Nevada City named one of the Most Beautiful Small Towns in Amercia

Leave a comment

Nevada City was named one of The 19 Most Beautiful Small Towns in America by impulcity.com. “It’s time to ditch the big city for one of these places. Small town America is still alive and well,” writes impulcity.com.

“Wait, is this a town out of the old west that they just happened to restore and modernize? Well, pretty much. Nevada City has been around since 1849, when it was first settled by miners during the gold rush. In fact, it’s in the National Registry of Historic Places, and most of the buildings were built in the 19th century.

“Old gaslights still light the streets, and the whole place just has a very rustic vibe to it, but you literally feel like you’re stepping into the scenes of a modern-day John Wayne set when you first drive through town. Afterwards, you can go through the surrounding nature preserves and catch a show at the historic Nevada Theater in town. It’s one of the few old-style theaters still left in the area.”

To read the full article, click here.

(Credit: Ken Rockwell)

Read our Top Stories for 2014

Leave a comment

In case you missed any of them, here are some of our top stories in 2014. Enjoy!

Nevada City a finalist for America’s coolest small town (video) Nevada City was named of the the 15 finalists for America’s coolest small town, according to BudgetTravel.com. “Nevada City may be a little off the beaten path (60 miles northeast of Sacramento, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains), but residents value the Gold Country town for its music and art scene, food, and proximity to some of California’s amazing rivers, lakes, and the Sierra,” the travel website states.” To read the full article and watch a video, click here.

Nevada City Snowboarder Evan Strong wins Gold Medal in Sochi Winter Paralympics Nevada City snowboarder Evan Strong won the inaugural Winter Paralympics men’s snowboard cross medal Friday in Sochi, Russia. The 27-year-old Strong had a total time of 1 minute, 43.61 seconds. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Sacramento Bee writes about Bridgeport Covered Bridge “The historic Bridgeport Covered Bridge on the South Yuba River is about to be fitted for a life-saving girdle,” writes the Sacramento Bee. To read the full article, click here.

New York Times lists Truckee-Tahoe among Top U.S. places to visit in 2014 This weekend’s New York Times has listed Truckee-Tahoe as one of the top 52 places in the world to visit in 2014. It is a reminder of our region’s world-class amenities. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Nevada County Restaurant Week January 23 – February 1 Nevada County Tourism and GoNevadaCounty.com, the official tourism website of Nevada County, in partnership with the Grass Valley Downtown Association, Greater Grass Valley Chamber, Nevada City Chamber, Penn Valley Chamber, South County Chamber, Truckee Donner Chamber and Sierra FoodWineArt magazine, are excited to announce Nevada County Restaurant Week 2015. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Bierwagen’s Farm 24th Annual Pumpkin Patch & Harvest Festival The 24th annual Bierwagen’s Farm Pumpkin Patch & Harvest Festival is happening everyday in October, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy a huge pumpkin patch with tons of pumpkins just waiting to be picked. To read the rest of the article, click here.

What’s Up in Nevada County November through December 2014 Check out what’s happening throughout Nevada County from November through January. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Tour the HGTV Dream Home 2014 in Truckee starting January 9 Schaffer’s Mill in Truckee is proud to be the host community for the incredible HGTV Dream Home 2014. You can tour this amazing 3,200-square foot home beginning Thursday, January 9th and continuing every Thursday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Feburary 14th. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Nevada City named one of the 10 intriguing smalls towns in the USA Nevada City has been named one of the “10 Intriguing Small Towns in the USA Everyone Should Visit” by Lifehack.org. “I’ve been fortunate enough to do some traveling around the USA, and along the way I’ve come across a lot of neat little towns,” states Lifehack.org. To read the full article, click here.

Amy Grant (watch video) and Jeff Bridges coming to Grass Valley The Center for the Arts announces Amy Grant and Jeff Bridges & The Abiders will be performing in Grass Valley. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Take a hike this fall! With the arrival of fall comes cooler days and nights meaning local trails are awash in gold and crimson, providing a wealth of opportunities for families to unplug, get outdoors, take a walk and encounter the wonders of nature. To read the rest of the article, click here.

Nevada City Chamber of Commerce’s Victorian Christmas commercial to air on the Hallmark Channel

Leave a comment

Like the Grass Valley Downtown Association’s Cornish Christmas, the Nevada City Chamber of Commerce’s own Victorian Christmas commercial will be aired multiple times on the Hallmark Channel during the holidays, including during airings of “The Christmas Card,” which was filmed in Nevada City.

Click here to view “The Christmas Card” showtimes and watch the Victorian Christmas commercial below:

New Cornish Christmas commercial to be shown during “The Christmas Card” airings

Leave a comment

Grass Valley Downtown Association’s brand new Cornish Christmas commercial will be aired more than 100 times on the Hallmark Channel during the holiday season, including during the next eight broadcasts of “The Christmas Card.”

Click here to check broadcast times. Watch the Cornish Christmas commercial here:

KCRA promotes Holidays at Empire Mine

Leave a comment

Sacramento news station KCRA promoted Holidays at Empire Mine last night on their 5 p.m. newscast. Watch a short video clip of it here: Empire Mine KCRA

Celebrate the holidays early 1900s’ style at Holidays at Empire Mine – with old-fashioned decorations, lavish period costumes, and festive live music. Empire Cottage will be brimming with good cheer, and hot spiced cider and star cookies will be served in the kitchen.

The Mineyard will be buzzing with activity. Take a peek in the Mine Shaft, the Machine, Wood, and Blacksmith Shops – and imagine what life was like during those days of hard work, grit and glory!

Holidays at Empire Mine continues today from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

(Source: KCRA)