This past weekend, we headed to the Little Town of Washington for a visit. We ate lunch at the Washington Hotel, which has a big deck overlooking the South Yuba River. It’s a wonderful spot on a warm summer (or warmish winter) day — and this weekend was one of them. Here’s some history from the Hotel’s website:
In the fall of 1849 a company from Indiana arrived at a stretch of River and decided to remain through the winter to start a township. In July 1850, the name of Washington was adopted and soon after men stared working the gold rich South Yuba River. High amounts of gold were found in this area, which created and molded these hills into ‘The Little Town of Washington.”
The Washington Mining District was always served by operators of small stage lines. This photo shows the company stage of Prescott and Grissel. A daily trip used to leave The National Hotel in Nevada City at 7 AM and arrive in Washington around noon. Located on Highway 20 between Washington and Nevada City was the Six Mile House. This was used to rest between trips or take shelter from the weather. Now the drive only takes 25 minutes in your car.
For directions and more information, click here.
Text and credit: Washington Hotel website